The FIRST Lego League Animal Allies and FLL Jr. Creature Craze Kickoff Event and “Day at the OKC Zoo” is on!
The event will take place on Saturday, Sep 17, starting at 9:30am.
Even if you responded to the initial survey, please fill click this link and fill out the new form to RSVP so we can get an accurate head count:
The kickoff activities will take place at the Metro Technology Center (1900 Springlake Dr, Oklahoma City, OK 73111), next to the zoo. Primary parking is on the north side of Metro Tech. After the kickoff activities, you can head over the OKC Zoo (2000 Remington Pl, Oklahoma City, OK 73111).
We encourage teams to wear their team t-shirts or any other FIRST gear you have. We had over 800 respondents to our interest survey, so this should be a huge crowd of FIRSTers – probably one of the largest non-competition events we’ve ever had in the state. Let’s have a great time filling up the zoo!
The event is hosted by:
- FRC Teams 5578 Metro Mechanical Monsters & 2723 Team Rocket
- FTC Teams 3638 Atomic Shock and 4962 The Rockettes
- FLL Teams 11, 21 & 9293 Baking Soda Volcano
- 9am Doors Open @ MetroTech Business
- 9:30 Kickoff activities
- Group Icebreaker
- Introduce the Animal Allies and Creature Craze challenges (project part)
- OKC Zoo Speaker
- Introduce the FLL robot game
- Instructions on what to do at the zoo
- Keeper Meetups
- Scavenger Hunt
- The zoo staff are providing a list of animals, exhibits, and keeper talks that will be most useful for kids to research
- Dismissal (by around 10:30am)
Then we have:
- FLL table with Q&A for referees or experts available
- FLL anf FLL Jr. veteran coaches and teams available to talk with new teams
- FRC / FTC robots driving around
And everyone heads over to the zoo at their own pace. At that point, you are on your own to spend the day exploring, taking notes, eating, and being distracted by all the PokeStops.
We will not collect any money. All payments should be made directly to the OKC Zoo.
You have three options:
1) Zoo Friends members (http://www.zoofriends.org/membership) can get in free (2 adults + 5 kids)
2) Groups of 15 or more can get in for a reduced price. See http://www.okczoo.org/schools-and-groups to make your reservation and pay. $6 adults & $3.75 kids if you have tax-free status. Otherwise add tax.
3) Smaller groups can pay at the gate ($8 adults, $5 kids and over-65, free for kids under 2).
Parking is free.
The zoo has a handy guide for managing a group online, here: